One of my favorite parts of summer is picnicking...throwing a cloth over the picnic table and preparing a late lunch in the shade. Some foods just taste better outside, don't you think? Things like watermelon, iced tea, potato salad, sorbet and Amish friendship bread of course.
Mmmm...there is nothing like this lovely chain-mail-pass-it-along bread. In case you may not know the way Amish Friendship Bread works (and you must tell me if you have never received any I'll whip up a bag and send it your way!) let me explain. It's quite ingenious you know...
- DO NOT USE ANY METAL UTENSILS.
- Use a glass bowl and wooden spoon.
- DO NOT REFRIGERATE until after the 10th day.
- 1(.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° F/45° C)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 cups white sugar, divided
- 3 cups warm milk (110°F/45°C), divided
- Day 1
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container (glass), combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand at room temperature until bubbly.
- Day 2 to Day 4
- Stir starter with a wooden spoon.
- Day 5
- Stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk.
- Day 6 to Day 9
- Stir only.
- Day 10
- Stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 or 2 cups to make your first bread, give three cups to friends along with the recipe. Store the remaining starter in a container in the refrigerator and begin the 10 day process over again. You can also freeze this starter in 1 cup measures for later use. Frozen starter will take at least 3 hours at room temperature to thaw before using.
- NOW YOUR READY TO BAKE YOUR BREAD
- Place the 1 or 2 cups of batter you removed to make your bread in a mixing bowl. Add the following and mix well:
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large box instant vanilla pudding powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup nuts
- Optional 1/2 cup raisins OR 1/2 cup chocolate chips, chopped up maraschino cherries etc
- Pour mixture into 2 greased and sugared loaf pans. Bake at 325°F for 1 hour or until knife inserted comes clean. Cool for at least 10 minutes and remove from pans.
Coconut Instant Pudding and add coconut to your bread.
Chocolate pudding add chocolate chips and nuts.
Banana pudding, add some banana.
Lemon pudding add some poppy seed.
Let your imagination be your guide. Enjoy!